Friday 19 June 2009

As strong as you might...

Four weeks ago I was lying in my bed sweating for the pain with a balloon-sized left ankle. I didn't know if some bone, ligament, tendon or muscle were broken. The only thing I knew was that something was really wrong and that my summer projects were unrelentingly drawning down the potty.
Nowadays modern medical science, my physiotherapist girlfriend and another physiotherapist/neighbour/good friend (not counting my inner knowledge and consciousness of the internal processes of my whole body... HA!) gave me a rough idea of what really happened.
On the physical side two ligaments broken and another badly strained one, a slight sprain of my big toe flexor tendon, two microfractures (part of the astragalus and tibia's distal epiphysis) and consistent muscle tear. Fortunately everything, except the muscle tear, seems repaired by now. Ankle is still swollen but I can slowly walk without crutches and I can focus on cautiously training my calf muscles, so weak after almost one month of forced inactivity.
On the [more important] mental side, I kinda surprised myself. I unexpectedly limited my nervous tension without much problems (with exceptions of course, I'm still myself!) and more important I somehow kept my motivation alive and well. Even better: I made up my mind at the point that I now consider this injury as a great chance to fill my power gaps, with a kind of training I would have never ever done if unharmed!
My plan of travelling the Alps in search of fresh granite spots turned immediately into a savage fingerboard/bar training. After three weeks from the accident the pain mostly left my ankle and I felt my fingers, arms, shoulders and abs completely restored and ready to go. Two deadhang sessions to discover that I'm as strong as before. No strenght losses! On tuesday my new Moon fingerboard arrived and after two days of training on it I'm already in love... Light and essential, but challenging if used for single arm deadhangs. Oh and yes, Moonboard holds arrived too... Next weeks my woody will be expanded and set for my comeback with climbing shoes on!
Plan is to keep on fingerboarding and weight lifting until I can safely start with some campus moves. Then I'll start again bouldering on my new board. Then it will be time to crush some hard lowball Swiss problems, in late september I assume. Finally I'll raise my game in october, driving towards Fontainebleau.
Oh yes, that's the plan!

2 comments:

lore said...

hey beast,
sorry to read about a serious injury!!! i did both my ankles past year, left in march, right in september.
i'm glad to read that you're strong and motivated. it will only get better.
train heavy, send light.

Pellet said...

thanks lore, i'm sure this training period will lead to great things. keep on pulling!